Wlliam Gilmore Simms
The History of South Carolina, From Its First European Discovery to Its Erection into a Republic >> Chapter XI >> Page 111

image of pageExplore Inside

Page 111

History | S. Babcock & Co. | 1840
Transcription THE HISTORY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.111
in the capital, which consumed one half of the town.
Three hundred houses were destroyed, and an immense
quantity of goods, provincial commodities and provisions.
Twelve years after this event, a hurricane nearly destroy-
ed what the fire had spared, and the devoted city was only
saved from being utterly swallowed up in the seas, by a
providential change of wind. The waters of the Gulf
Stream, which had been driven by the blast upon the shores,
were permitted to subside into their accustomed channels.
In ten minutes after the wind had shifted, the waters fell
five feet. But for this, every inhabitant in Charlestown
would have perished. Many were drowned, many more
hurt ; the wharves and fortifications were demolished, the
provisions in the fields were destroyed, and vast numbers
of the cattle perished. The dwellings of the town pre-
sented the appearance of one general ruin.
In 1755, the Cherokees renewed their treaty of peace
with the Carolinians, and accompanied this act by a ces-
sion of a vast portion of territory. This cession, apart
from the intrinsic value of the land, was important in
another respect, as it served to remove the Indians still
farther from the white settlements. Several forts were
built by Glen, then governor of Carolina, in the ceded
territory. One of these, called Prince George, was situ-
ated on the banks of the Savannah, and within gun-shot
of an Indian town called Keowee. It contained barracks
for an hundred men, was built in the form of a square,
had an earthen rampart six feet high, on which stockades
were fixed, with a ditch, a natural glacis on two sides,
and bastions at the angles, on each of which four small
cannon were mounted. On the banks of the same river,