Wlliam Gilmore Simms
The History of South Carolina, From Its First European Discovery to Its Erection into a Republic >> Chapter XIII >> Page 137

image of pageExplore Inside

Page 137

History | S. Babcock & Co. | 1840
Transcription THE HISTORY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.137
doubt, served, much more effectually than the duties on
stamps or tea, to place Carolina in that attitude of defi-
ance which she was shortly required to maintain with
her ablest manhood.
Before colonel Moultrie had yet put his fort at Sulli-
van's island, in a condition to meet the foe, fifty sail of Brit-
ish vessels appeared upon the coast. All was now com-
motion, if not alarm, among the patriots of Charlestown.
The troops thronged to the city ; the women and children,
such as could procure means of flight, were sent into the
country ; and, with a breathless but stern anxiety, the
popular leaders prepared for the approaching issue. With
a high idea of British valor, and an imperfect knowledge
of their own resources, the Carolinians did not, however,
despond at the appearance of this formidable armament.
Their force, swelled to five thousand men by the arrival
of troops from the adjacent states, were placed under the
command of major general Lee, an officer of the conti-
nental army. The first regular regiment of South Caro-
lina, commanded by colonel Gadsden, was stationed at
Fort Johnson, a small fort on the most northerly point of
James island, about three miles east from Charlestown,
and within point blank shot of the, channel. The second
and third regular regiments of Carolina, under the com-
mand of colonels Moultrie and Thomson, occupied the two
extremities of Sullivan's island. The other forces were
assigned places at Haddrell's point, James island, and
along the bay in front of the town. The stores on the
wharves were pulled down, and lines of defence, run
along the water's edge, were manned chiefly by the citi-
zens.