Wlliam Gilmore Simms
The History of South Carolina, From Its First European Discovery to Its Erection into a Republic >> Chapter XV >> Page 160

image of pageExplore Inside

Page 160

History | S. Babcock & Co. | 1840
Transcription 160THE HISTORY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.
Fort Moultrie, being now of less use than the men who
manned it, they were in great part withdrawn, and it soon
fell into the hands of the enemy. Colonel Pinckney's
force, together with that which had served to man the
small fleet of the Americans, was transferred to the city,
where they helped to swell the inconsiderable numbers
of the garrison. This force at no time amounted to four
thousand men ; they were required to defend an extent of
works which could not be well manned by less than ten
thousand ; yet, even for this small army, a sufficient quan-
tity of provisions had not been furnished, and before the
siege was over, the citizens were suffering from star-
vation.
But the garrison, though feeble, was neither idle nor
dispirited. The field works which had been thrown up
against the invasion of Prevost, were strengthened and
extended. Lines of defence, and redoubts, were stretch-
ed across Charlestown neck, from Cooper to Ashley riv-
er. In front of the lines was a strong abbatis, and a wet
ditch picketted on the nearest side. Deep holes were
dug, at short distances, between the lines and the abbatis.
The lines were made particularly strong on the right and
left, and so constructed as to ralt the wet ditch in its
whole extent. In the centre was a strong citadel. On
the sides of the town, and wherever the enemy could
effect a landing, works were thrown up. The continen-
tals, with the Charlestown artillery, manned the lines in
front of the foe on the neck. The works on South Bay
and other parts of the town, which were less exposed,
were defended by the militia.