Wlliam Gilmore Simms
The History of South Carolina, From Its First European Discovery to Its Erection into a Republic >> Chapter XXI >> Page 227

image of pageExplore Inside

Page 227

History | S. Babcock & Co. | 1840
Transcription THE HISTORY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.227
in possession of a very respectable battery, of a star shape,
with sixteen salient and returning angles, which commu-
nicated with the stockade. This battery was defended by
three pieces of artillery, on wheel carriages, which could
be moved readily from one point to another. On the
north of the village extends a valley, through which flows
a rivulet that supplied the garrison with water. The
county prison lying near, was fortified, and commanded
the valley on the side next the village. On the opposite
side of the valley, and within reach of the fire from the
gaol, was a strong stockade fort with two block-houses,
which covered the communication with the rivulet from
that quarter. A covert way led from the town to the
rivulet.
Greene, when he beheld the strength of the place,
apprehended the failure of his enterprise ; but this doubt
did not discourage him from his design. He broke ground
on the 23rd of May, and by the 3rd of June had completed
his second parallel. The engineer of the American army
was the celebrated Polish exile, Kosciusko. On com-
pleting the first parallel, a mine, directed against the star
battery of the enemy, was commenced under cover of a
battery erected on his right. The work was pursued by
the besiegers, day and night, without intermission. The
troops labored alternately in the ditches, some on guard
while others toiled, and even sleeping on their arms to
repel the sallies of the besieged, which were bold and
frequent, and resulted in long and spirited conflicts. The
American works steadily advanced, however, in spite of
these sallies ; but a fierce strife followed every step in