Wlliam Gilmore Simms
The History of South Carolina, From Its First European Discovery to Its Erection into a Republic >> Appendix >> Page 342

image of pageExplore Inside

Page 342

History | S. Babcock & Co. | 1840
Transcription 342APPENDIX.
The preamble and resolutions having been submitted, Mr. J. E. Calhoun moved that they be laid on the table, which was agreed to. Mr. J. A. Calhoun, of Abbeville, than moved that the convention do now adjourn to meet to-morrow evening at half past 5 o'clock, which motion prevailed, and the convention adjourned.
ROBERT W GIBBES, Secretary.

THURSDAY, Nov. 28th, 1839.
The convention met at the appointed hour. The minutes of the previous meeting were read. The president called for the report of the committee of nine, whereupon the chairman stated that the committee were not fully prepared to submit their report, and asked the indulgence of the convention until to-morrow evening, which, upon taking the vote, was agreed to.
The following delegates appeared and enrolled their names :
From Darlington�Alexander Sparks,
From Union�E. C. Johnson,
From St. Philip's and St. Michael's�J. Rose.
From St. James, Goose Creek--John Wilson.
From All Saints�Edward Tho. Heriot.
John A. Calhoun, Esq, introduced the following resolution:
Resolved, That the trustees of the South Carolina college be re-quested to have delivered, by the professor of chemistry, in addition to his other duties, a course of lectures on agricultural chemistry, provided that they do not interfere with his regular duties,
Dr. Gibbes moved an amendment to the resolution, to insert after the words agricultural chemistry" the words " and also on the principles ofgeology," which was agreed to.
The resolution as amended was unanimously adopted.
W. S. Reynolds, Esq. moved the appointment of a committee of three to communicate the resolution to the president of the trustees, whereupon the president designated,
Dr. W. S. REYNOLDS, HON. A. P. BUTLER, HoN. J. S. RICHARD-
soN.
The president informed the convention that he had received from Mr. R. E. Russell, proprietor of the botanic garden in Columbia,